Why everyone is talking about having a dedicated IP address? What is a dedicated IP address exactly? What is it for? How can a dedicated IP help my business?
Well, these are some of the most common queries every website administrator is stuck around. If you are also looking for answers to these questions, let us tell you that this guide will answer all your questions related to a dedicated IP address.
Let us begin!
What is Normal IP?
An IP address is a unique series of numbers that helps to identify a digital device connected to a specific network. Here the digital device would be the server and the network would be the Internet. A DNS (Domain Name System) is used to translate an IP address to the associated domain name.
For example 292.958.0.37. Here each number in the string can range from 0 to 255. So, the complete range of IP addresses is from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.
There are two types of IP address:
- IPV4: It is the original formulation of an IP that allows the creation of billions of IP addresses.
- IPV6: The increasing number of servers and devices connected to the Internet leads to IPv6 addresses.
Want to grow your web hosting business? Here are top tips to boost your web hosting business
What is a Dedicated IP?
A dedicated IP is the next level of IP address which means your website and emails will use it and you will never share it with others. Using a dedicated IP address means your IP address is yours and yours only and it’s your identity. If you have a dedicated IP address connected to a single website or a dedicated server with its own IP address, then you can use it for your multiple websites.
Using a single dedicated IP address for sending and receiving emails is the best way of marketing as your email services will not be affected by the behavior of other users.
Do You Really Need a Dedicated IP address?
Having a dedicated IP address in your web hosting makes your DNS service efficient as the domain is created on the server and does not change. All of this allows much greater and better service customization. Regarding security, it is sometimes possible to make specific specifications on a particular domain.
Besides, having a dedicated IP address allows one to carry out other hosting operations smoothly, for example moving a domain(s) to the server with a different usage profile and minimum downtime. If you use a dedicated IP address your hosting will be much secured and it will prevent your business from being spammed and maintain a good reputation. Having a dedicated IP address is good for all the reasons as it saves you from several risky situations like DoS (Denial of Service) attacks, specially designed to sabotage the pages of a website.
Therefore, the answer is YES. If you need to maintain a good market image and prevent your website from harsh cyber attacks, then you should start using a dedicated IP address.
- With a dedicated IP, you will have complete control over your site or application, you can run it from any system, configure or even block access to certain users.
- Dedicated IP allows you to access the Internet from any computer or smartphone around the world using a secure connection. It’s like you’re connected to your channel in the office, not to the public Wi-Fi in a cafe.
- With a dedicated IP, your mailings will be less likely to end up in spam. Your money on content creation won’t be wasted.
What is the difference between a shared and a dedicated IP address?
Identifying the difference between a shared and a dedicated IP address is quite simple. A shared IP address is unique and used by one or various websites within a web server. The major difference between a shared and a dedicated IP is its usage. A dedicated IP is less likely to get blacklisted by users and different websites, lets you avoid CAPTCHAs, and secures your online payments.
On the other hand, a shared IP address is shared by multiple users and is more likely to get blacklisted by websites. It restricts all the IP-restricted networks and works excellent for P2P file sharing. One shared IP address can be used by 6 devices at a time.
Facts About Using a Dedicated IP Address
- The search engine ranking of your website will not be affected by the use of a shared IP.
- Having a dedicated IP address to install an SSL Certificate is not necessary.
- The benefits of using a dedicated IP to send emails will depend on the individual cases.
- You can change your IP and hosting, it will not affect your website’s SEO.
- The speed of your website does not depend on the IP type you are using, it could be a dedicated IP or shared IP.
We hope this information has helped you understand the dedicated server better and now you know why you should use a dedicated IP over a shared IP address.
We hope this information has helped you better understand the myths that exist about the advantages of working with a dedicated IP over a shared IP. If you feel hesitant to add a dedicated IP address to your hosting, then it is recommended to contact IP experts about the same. Explain to them your website’s characteristics and they will help you out with the appropriate solution.
Good Luck With Your Safe IP Address!